Following my adventures through USA, South America and Australia

Thursday 2 August 2018

Miami

South Beach, Miami

What can I say about Miami...? It was exactly how I think you would picture it. Extremely glam, very 'showey-offey' (I know that isn't a word but it really is the best way to describe it). Most people walk along Ocean Drive in bikinis looking like they are ready to go to the club, it was pretty surreal. The prices for food and drink were astronomical, if you fancied a cocktail near the beach it would cost you $25!!!! Don't get me wrong, I did still like it, but more as an experience rather than because I was particularly taken with the city. I must add here that my opinion is based purely on South Beach and my particular experience as I only ventured into the main part of the city once to Wynwood Walls, and it was also not great weather with plenty of clouds and showers (thanks again storm Alberto).

I arrived in the evening of Sunday 20th May with a Canadian girl called Lauren who I met on the bus. We ended up being put in the same hostel room which was great as we were able to hang out for the rest of my time in Miami. My friend Marie (who I met in New York) had already arrived and invited us to a night out with the girls from her room. We popped out for some Cuban cuisine across the road (lots of rice, beans and chicken, delicious), then headed back to meet the girls for some beers. We went to a club called Nikki Beach where we were met by a promoter who gave us a booth and free drinks for the night but it ended up being on some sort of stage like set up, with only girls allowed. The 'stage booths' were surrounded by the dance floor but sectioned off so we were practically on parade for the rest of the club. Personally for me it was a pretty uncomfortable and bizarre experience which I don't wish to repeat, I prefer to be dancing and relaxed and not 'on show'. I still had some fun as I was with some lovely girls from the hostel, but left early. 

Marie and Lauren at Wynwood Walls
The following day I went with Lauren and Marie to Wynwood Walls to see the graffiti which was on all the buildings and even had a special exhibit. That was pretty cool and certainly not something I had seen before as street after street was lined with the artwork. We eventually headed back to the hostel and I ventured to the beach with the purpose of swimming, but with no lifeguards and a rough sea I chickened out (mum would have been ashamed) and enjoyed a delicious pizza on the Lincoln Mall (lots of restaurants shops and bars all on one road). I then headed back and met Marie and the other girls for some drinks at the hostel bar and pool.

On Tuesday 22nd May I went with Lauren on the Everglades day trip to see the alligators in the swamps. This was great fun and we had quite a few up close encounters, perhaps a little too close for many of us. It was fascinating to see them in their natural habitat and a lot of fun to hold a baby alligator at the end who was in their sanctuary. The alligators are seen as nuisances in Florida and often shot when found in peoples gardens or pools (which happens frequently), but at this particular sanctuary they capture them and keep them or give them to Zoos or Aquariums. At first this upset me as I could not understand why they would not be put back into the wild, but this had previously been tried and unfortunately the alligators were able to find their way back to wherever they had been captured from, even when it was many miles away, so by doing this they risked the alligators being shot by "pest control".

Alligator in the Everglades
Alligator in the sanctuary

Miami was definitely an experience, but I am not too interested in going back. I had some delicious food and the beach was nice but again it was on and off rain with constant cloud so I'm sure it would be a lot nicer when the weather is good. It would also be nice to visit when I wasn't on such a tight budget and could afford $25 for a drink by the beach... Actually on second thoughts, I don't think I would ever pay that!

Thanks for reading!

Lucy B x

Share:

No comments

Post a Comment

Blogger Template Created by pipdig