Following my adventures through USA, South America and Australia

Tuesday 12 June 2018

Leaving


So here it is, my long awaited first blog post six weeks into my travels around the world. For those of you who know me, being late is kind of a habit of mine, but as the saying goes 'better late than never'. Now unfortunately for those of you reading this I am not much of a writer, but I have wanted to start a blog for a long time and this trip seemed like the ideal time to do it, so please bare with me, and hopefully I shall develop my own blog writing style as I go along. A special shout out goes to my wonderful work colleagues and friends from St Peter & St James Hospice in Sussex, who grouped together to buy this gorgeous blog layout you can see now as one of my leaving presents (I was completely spoilt and miss you all). They gave me the final push I needed to do what I have said I will do for a long time. 

Over the next 7 months I plan to use this blog as a platform to document my many (hopefully) exciting adventures, as well as the expected rocky times too, travelling through the US, South America and Australia. As I am doing this trip solo I felt it important to have a way of recording all the things I am lucky enough to see and do so I don't ever forget this opportunity; and apparently some of you want to know what I am getting up to too. So I hope you enjoy my blog!

I left England on Wednesday the 25th April after a pretty stressful two week run up. As soon as I finished working at the hospice I was running around like a madman getting prepared for the trip. I needed a completely new wardrobe for my travels ready for the blistering heat, I had every check up available to ensure I was in good health before I went, I had to find new bank cards for the cheapest available costs whilst abroad, buy all my travel essentials, finish the last of my jabs, find new shoes, see friends and family before I left, buy US dollars, get a new phone and contract etc. etc. etc. I think I would still be in England preparing if it wasn't for my parents help researching, taking me shopping and keeping me sane (thanks again for all your help Mum and Dad)! 

On the Monday before I left my extended family met up at Grandma's for take away and lots of hugs, it was so lovely to get together and have some downtime. The following day on my final night Mum, Dad, James and I went to pizza express for my 'last supper' before the trip (Callum was working in London). It was a great excuse to wind down and just enjoy the evening, rather than panicking and worry about what I may have forgotten to pack.

On the morning of my flight I woke up early and my parents drove me to Heathrow Airport. Dad factored in some extra time so we could have a drink before going through security. As time drew closer to my flight we begrudgingly decided it was time to part ways. After multiple hugs but no tears this time we said our goodbyes and I walked through to security. With one final look back I made my way through and turned the corner. It was at this moment, filled with anticipation, nerves and excitement, I knew I had made the right decision. I knew that I was about to embark on an adventure of a lifetime, no going back now...

Lucy B x



Share:

No comments

Post a Comment

Blogger Template Created by pipdig